<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Company Housing > Uphall: Forkneuk road

Uphall: Forkneuk Road

Location 55.928594, -3.512731; in the western part of Uphall show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history c.1880 and c1900
Ownership history Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Extant
Current status of site Private homes

Background

Spacious villas built for senior managers of Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company.

"Elmbank " (marked as "Broadyetts" on the 1916 OS map) seems to have been built in 1880's probably as home for the manager of Uphall Oil Works. Two further villas on the north side of Forkneuk Road seem to have been built by the company in the first decade of the 20th century.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Recent Images

Snippets

Uphall Village: Middleton Hall, Elmbank, Craigview, The Cottage and Loaninghill Cottages to be maintained. Meeting held at Middleton Hall on 9th September 1958 to review position of house properties etc.

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.