<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Company Housing > Straiton; Oakbank Cottages

Straiton; Oakbank Cottages

Location 55.889838, -3.156353, half a mile north of Straiton show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Liberton, Edinburghshire.
Current local authority area City of Edinburgh
Construction history Presumably built during 1880's
Ownership history Clippens Oil Company Ltd (Old), Clippens Oil Company Ltd (New)
Demolition history Demolished 1930's?
Current status of site Site of the rows lies beneath the Edinburgh city by-pass

Background

Presumably constructed by the Clippens Oil Company to house the workforce of the company's adjacent mines and pits. The Company also owned housing at Pentland and Meadowbank.

The OS map shows three parallel rows, each with eight two-room homes.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.