<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Company Housing > Roman Camp

Roman Camp

Location 55.918899, -3.484066; about a mile north of Pumpherston, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1891
Ownership history Broxburn Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history All houses and office building extant
Current status of site Many properties substantially extended and modified

Background

Built c.1890 to house staff of the Broxburn Oil Company's new Roman Camp Oil Works. As built, there were two rows of substantial two roomed homes and five rows each with much smaller two (or one?) room homes. Also an office? building facing the works. A further row of six two-room homes with sculleries were built c.1900.

This detailed plan, dated 1964, from the BP Archive, shows the layout of Roman Camp.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Recent Images

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.