<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Company Housing > Redhouse Cottages

Redhouse Cottages

Location 55.962392, -3.507665; at Threemiletown, between Linlithgow and Winchburgh show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Ecclesmachan, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Probably built c. 1907
Ownership history Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history All extant
Current status of site Rows modernised and extended. Post-war bungalows built on adjacent site

Background

Constructed by Young's Company to house staff employed at the adjacent Hopetoun No. 35 Pit, built c.1906. A single row of twelve two-roomed homes with scullery.

This detailed plan, dated 1962, from the BP Archive, shows the layout of Redhouse Cottages.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.