<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Company Housing > Pumpherston South Village

Pumpherston South Village

Location 55.905149, -3.489336; part of the village of Pumpherston show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Midcalder, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c. 1888, Pentland View built c.1902
Ownership history Pumpherston Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history All extant, although housing other than Pentland view has been substantially modified.
Current status of site Modernised, with modest extensions. An area of planning control

Background

Constructed to the south of the earlier Pumpherston North Village to house staff of the Pumpherston Oil Works. Consisting of four parallel lines of rows, two of which had three blocks containing eight two-room homes. The other two lines of rows each contained two blocks of eight two-room homes and one block of four two-room homes. A terrace of six larger houses for officials faced onto Uphall Station Road. Houses in the South Village are thought to have been originally numbered 116 to 210. Most were converted during the 1950's by knocking two houses into one

A further row of ten more spacious two room houses with scullery and attic room was constructed c.1902. Numbered 211 - 220, the row is now known as Pentland View.

For details of other oil company housing in Pumpherston see pages for Pumpherston North, Letham and Erskine.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Plans & Drawings

Recent Images

Snippets

The Pumpherston Oil Company has almost completed the erection of two rows of workman's houses. comprising 48 tenements, and have in contemplation the erection of as many more in the consequence of the rapid extension of their trade. The houses are large, well built, and superior to most miner's housing in respect of accommodation and internal fittings. The new buildings, situated on rising ground about 200 yards below the present village, are sheltered on the east and north by a strong plantation, and from a sanitary point of view occupy a desirable situation. This addition will undoubtedly be a great advantage to the Company, in respect of having their men concentrated at their work, while the regular rates payable by their occupiers will secure the Company a good interest on the outlay. West Lothian Courier 11th August 1888

Pumpherston South Village: Eight houses have still to be altered and it is expected that all houses will be modernised and ready for occupation towards the end of the year with the possible exception of the completion of footpaths to the street adjacent to the school. Meeting held at Middleton Hall on 9th September 1958 to review position of house properties etc.

References

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.