<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

.

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Company Housing > Erskine Place

Pumpherston: Erskine Place & Villas

Location 55.901970, -3.487565; south of Pumpherston Village show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Midcalder, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Erskine Place built c.1904, villas also built c.1904?
Ownership history Pumpherston Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history All still extant
Current status of site All houses are now private homes

Background

A semi-detached cottage and four detached villas (Ardbeg, Almondhill, Strathallan and Abernyte) built south of Pumpherston, presumably as homes of company officials. However, only two houses at Erskine Place are listed in the "Names of tenants occupying Pumphertson Oil Company houses".

For details of other oil company housing in Pumpherston see pages for Pumpherston North, South and Letham.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Recent Images

Snippets

Pumpherston: Erskine Place, two houses are without bathroom accommodation and schemes will be prepared to provide this modernisation and submitted to Mr. Caldwell for approval. Meeting held at Middleton Hall on 9th September 1958 to review position of house properties etc.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.