<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Philpstoun, The Avenue

Philpstoun; The Avenue

Location 55.977763, -3.527424; in the village of Philpstoun show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Abercorn, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1910
Ownership history James Ross & Company, James Ross & Company Philpstoun OIl Works Ltd
Demolition history All extant
Current status of site Modernised, with some homes considerably extended

Background

Three very superior rows with many decorative features, each containing four substantial homes with scullery and attic rooms. Constructed for staff at Philpstoun Oil Works, and sited next to the company's bowling green on what is now known as Woodend Road. Sold to private individuals 1963-68.

This detailed plan, dated 1963, from the BP Archive, shows the layout of The Avenue.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.