<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Pentland cottages

Pentland Cottages

Location 55.881518, -3.174305; to the west of Straiton show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Lasswade, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area City of Edinburgh
Construction history Probably built c.1880 along with adjacent oil works
Ownership history Clippens Oil Company Ltd (Old), Clippens Oil Company Ltd (New)
Demolition history Demolished 1920's or 30's ?
Current status of site Grassed open space; foundations of houses evident in aerial crop marks

Background

Built by the Clippens Oil Company to serve their Pentland Paraffin Oil Works, constructed c.1880. Arranged in one line of five two-storey blocks and a parallel row of three two-storey blocks. Each block had eight two-room homes on each level. The 1894 O.S. maps shows external stairs and a number of smaller buildings between blocks, and at the end of rows. These small buildings had disappeared by the 1907 survey. The adjacent oil works and refinery closed c.1898, and much of the workforce moved away. In a valuation court appeal hearing (reported in Glasgow Herald of 14th September 1899) it was reported that of the 344 workman's houses owned by the company at Pentland and Straiton, 280 were unoccupied)

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.