<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Oakbank cottages (Westwood)

Oakbank Cottages (Westwood)

Location 55.866984, -3.574763; about a mile north of West Calder show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Livingstone, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1918
Ownership history Oakbank Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history All extant
Current status of site Modernised, some fitted with dormer windows

Background

Presumably constructed c.1918 to house workers at Oakbank Oil Company's new Westwood Pit. Oakbank Cottages (occasionally referred to as Westwood Cottages) consist of one row of four and one row of six spacious homes, each with two or more rooms and scullery. A detached bungalow; "Inglewood" was presumably home to a company official.

This detailed plan, dated 1962, from the BP Archive, shows the layout of Oakbank Cottages.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

Snippets

Oakbank Cottages: The cottages including Inglewood and Westwood Lodge to be maintained. Meeting held at Middleton Hall on 9th September 1958 to review position of house properties etc.

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.