<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Newton

Newton

Location 55.983905, -3.456335; within Newton Village, about two miles west of South Queensferry show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Abercorn, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Presumably c.1910
Ownership history Oakbank Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history All still extant
Current status of site Buildings modernised, most fitted with dormer windows

Background

Two rows of substantial stone fronted homes fronting onto Main Street, Newton. Each row contained six homes with two or three rooms plus a scullery. Numbers 2,4,6,8,10,& 12, are on the north side of Main Street, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39, 41, 43 are on the south side. Presumably built to accommodate workers at the Duddingston shale mines, the houses were sold to private owners during the period 1965-67.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Recent Images

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.