<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Newfarm cottages

Newfarm Cottages

Location 55.879525, -3.498111; within the new town of Livingston show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Livingstone, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1909
Ownership history Oakbank Oil Company Ltd, Scottish Oils Ltd
Demolition history All survive
Current status of site Extant, extended and modernised

Background

Constructed by Oakbank Oil Company to serve the short-lived Newfarm No. 3 & 4 Mine which operated between c.1909 and c.1919. Three rows, two with ten two-room homes with scullery, one with eight homes. Enclosed staircases at the end of each block provided access to an attic room.

Sold by Scottish Oils to private owners between 1963 - 67 and now enveloped within the 1970's housing of the Dedridge area of Livingston, and known as Beresford Rise.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.