<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > New Holygate

New Holygate

Location 55.933271, -3.477369; in the western part of Broxburn show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built 1880's?
Ownership history Broxburn Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Still extant
Current status of site In good condition; an area of special planning control

Background

Eight rows, each with eight sturdy two roomed homes, set on a south-facing slope, across the road from Holygate. Constructed by the Broxburn Oil Company to house its oil works and mining staff. The OS map suggests construction was not completed until the mid 1890's. This detailed plan, dated 1966, from the BP Archive, shows the layout of New Holygate.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Plans & Drawings

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.