<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Murchison Buildings

Murchison Buildings

Location 55.842350, -3.597048; about a mile and a half west of West Calder. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of West Calder, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Probably built c.1870
Ownership history Probably Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Demolished 1920's or 30's?
Current status of site Wooded wasteland

Background

O.S. maps shows one row with 20 single room homes arranged back-to-back, and a second row of 12 two room homes.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.