<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Kipsyke

Kipsyke

Location Perhaps in the vicinity of 55.817383, -3.577579; a mile north of Cobbinshaw station, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of West Calder, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1870
Ownership history Mungle & Thornton, Coltness Iron Company
Demolition history Demolished c.1884
Current status of site Forest and moorland

Background

A remote settlement of eight dwellings, referred to as Kipsyke Cottages or Kipsyke Huts in the 1871 census, property of Mungle & Thornton, the proprietors of Cobbinshaw North Paraffin Oil Works.

The precise location of the settlement is not known, but it seems likely to have been close the company's mines (55.817009,-3.578546), located to the south west of Kipsyke farm (55.817009, -3.578546). The company also constructed housing at North Cobbinshaw. Kipsyke was largely uninhabited following closure of the oil works c.1875, although used for a short period by the Coltness Iron Company presumably as temporary housing for staff engaged in coal mining in the area west of Auchengray.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.