<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Kingscavil rows

Kingscavil Rows

Location 55.969966, -3.555555; about two miles east of Linlithgow. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Linlithgow, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1885
Ownership history Linlithgow Oil Company Ltd, James Ross & Compan, James Ross & Company Philpstoun Oil Works Ltd from c.1900
Demolition history Demolished c.1937
Current status of site Agriculture

Background

Built to serve Champfleurie Oil Works of the Linlithgow Oil Company.

The O.S. map shows 28 blocks each with four two-roomed homes in four parallel rows.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

Snippets

The little village of Kingscavil or Champfleurie, has been enlarged by the addition to it of no fewer than 106 neat brick cottages which the company has erected for the housing of their workmen. Their presence has necessitated the erection of a school; a small mission church in connection with Linlithgow parish has also been built, a large general store has been opened, and a transformation effected in a short time, similar to what one reads of in the mining or newly-settled districts of America. The Scotsman 14th January 1887.

"Kingscavil consists of four rows running at right angles to the main Edinburgh road...At Kingscavil there are 108 houses... (which) consist of room and kitchen. There are small gardens in front of the houses, but the surrounding walls are in a very tumble-down condition. The rental is 1/9 for single apartment houses and 2/6 for two apartment houses, inclusive of local and county rates." Theodore K. Irvine, Report on the Housing Conditions in the Scottish Shale Field, 1914.

NEW HOUSES FOR WEST LOTHIAN VILLAGES - Tenders have been accepted for the building of 184 houses of 3, 4 and 5 apartments to take the place of the condemned houses in the old shale-mining villages of Bridgend and KingscavilVillage, near Linlithgow. Eighteen months ago an official inquiry was held at Linlithgow into housing conditions in these villages. It was the first inquiry to be held by the Department of Health under Section 27 of the Housing (Scotland) Act, 1930 and it was pointed out at that inquiry that the villages of Kingscavil and Bridgend first came under notice of the County Council in 1931, when Mr A M Smith, sanitary inspector for Linlithgow district, declared that the villages ought to be demolished. At an official inquiry, Mr Joseph Aitken, Fauldhouse stated that West Lothian held the unenviable distinction of having the highest percentage of population living in two-apartment houses, and the highest number of persons per room of any in Scotland. The houses about to be built by the County Council, to plans prepared by Mr Matt Steele architect, Bo'ness will be of the larger size specified in recent instructions issued by the Department of Health.' The cost of the scheme is 58,000. The Scotsman, 24th March 1936

"The West Lothian County Council scheme to establish a new village at Bridgend is progressing favourably. The new village is being built alongside the old miner's rows at Bridgend, and the population of the old Bridgend and also the people from the neighbouring village of Kingscavil will be housed there." Midlothian Advertiser, 4th December 1936

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.