<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Holygate

Holygate

Location 55.934267, -3.477806; at the west end of Broxburn, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Probably c.1868
Ownership history Robert Bell, Broxburn Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Demolished 1936
Current status of site Holygate Place, local authority housing built c.1937

Background

Built during the late 1860's to serve Robert Bell's various oil interests in the Broxburn area. The 1871 census records 66 homes. The 1890's OS map shows two rows of 8 dwellings, three rows of 6 dwellings and one row with 4 dwellings; all seemingly single rooms. Also two back-to-back blocks of 8 dwellings and one back-to-back block with 12 dwellings.

During the 1880's the Broxburn Oil Company constructed housing at New Holygate, on an adjacent site, south of West Main Street.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

Snippets

The brick rows belonging to Broxburn Oil Company at Holygate and at Greendykes Road suffered most, owing to the chimney-stalks falling through the roofs. In this way 15 houses were rendered uninhabitable, the families having to remove yesterday. At Holygate the residents had narrow escapes from injury, one family having to be extricated from the debris. Telegraphic communication was broken, and broken trees, pailings, flagstaffs, &c, all told of the tremendous force of the wind. Glasgow Herald, 22nd December 1900

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.