<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Holmes Rows

Holmes Rows

Location 55.929896, -3.489918; between Uphall and Broxburn.show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1884 to serve the Holmes Oil Works
Ownership history Holmes Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Derelict remains demolished in 1950's?
Current status of site Landscaped mound in housing estate

Background

Built to serve Holmes Oil Works, Holmes Rows consisted of a row of four, two-storey blocks, each containing eight two-room houses. The 1950's OS map show them in a ruinous condition. Company staff were also housed at Holmes Cottages.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Plans & Drawings

Recent Images

Snippets

IN THE LIQUIDATION OF THE HOLMES OIL COMPANY, LIMITED. FOR SALE, by PRIVATE OFFER, the following PROPERTY ;- Lot 1 – TWO COTTAGES. Rent, £52. Feu-Duty. £4 8s. Lot 2 - TWO COTTAGES. Rent, £23 8s. Feu-Duty £4 8s. Lot 3. - FOUR BLOCKS of WORKMEN'S HOUSES, consisting of Eight Houses in each Block. Rental £249 12s. Feu-Duty, £17 12s. There is a good demand for Houses of this class in the locality, and the Rent might be increased. Since the commencement of the Liquidation in October 1900, the Houses have been fully Let. The Falkirk Herald, 19th July 1902.

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.