<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Holmes Cottages

Holmes Cottages

Location 55.926095, -3.484715; between Broxburn and Uphall show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Presumably built c.1884
Ownership history Holmes Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Still extant
Current status of site Modernised and in good condition; eastern cottage perhaps rebuilt

Background

Two semi-detached cottages, each with two rooms, built close to Holmes Oil Works. Much of the workforce of the oil works were housed in Holmes Rows. This detailed plan, dated 1963, from the BP Archive, shows the layout of Holmes Cottages.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Plans & Drawings

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.