<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Hermand Old Rows

Hermand Old Rows

Location 55.848805, -3.557897; about half a mile south east of West Calder show in map
Former parish and county Parish of West Calder, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Perhaps c. 1867
Ownership history Thomas and James Thornton?
Demolition history Demolished 1920's?
Current status of site Returned to agriculture

Background

Hermand Old Rows are thought to have been constructed to serve the Hermand Shale Oil Works. of Thomas and James Thornton. The 1895 OS map shows a row of ten homes that seem to comprise a single room with a scullery. Two larger building are joined to the row. The 1871 census lists 17 households at "West Hermand Rows". This name does not appear in subsequent census records, although 12 households (or thereabouts) in "Hermand Row" appear in the 1881, 1891, and 1901 census.

Two other oil works operated in the Hermand estate; The Hermand Shale Oil Works with associated housing at Hermand Old (West) Rows, and the Hermand Oil Works, served by housing at Hermand New Rows

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.