<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > East Hermand rows

East Hermand rows

Location Uncertain, presumably close to the supposed site of East Hermand Oil Works, perhaps in the region of 55.856292, -3.552834, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of West Calder, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Presumably built c.1867
Ownership history Matthew Dunnet? Thomas and James Thornton
Demolition history Presumably demolished during the 1870
Current status of site uncertain

Background

A public roup of the assets of the short-lived East Hermand Crude Oil Works was held in December 1872, and included 10 Single Workman's Houses, 4 Double Workmen's Houses, a pay office and a smithy. "A number of workman's houses" remain advertised for sale in February 1874. The 1871 census lists 14 dwellings in "East Hermand Row" however none are mentioned in the census of 1881.

Two other oil works operated in the Hermand estate; The Hermand Shale Oil Works with associated housing at Hermand Old (West) Rows, and the Hermand Oil Works, served by housing at Hermand New Rows

Maps

East Hermand Crude Oil Works and associated housing did not survive long enough to feature on Ordnance Survey maps and do not feature on any known surviving plans. There appears reasonable evidence that the oil works were sited in an area subsequently quarried for sandstone and the production of bricks. It seems likely that workman's houses would be constructed close to the oil works, but there are no clues as to their precise location.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.