<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Burngrange cottages

Burngrange cottages

Location 55.846261, -3.585527;, immediately west of West Calder show in map
Former parish and county Parish of West Calder, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Presumably constructed c. 1866
Ownership history Presumably built to serve the Burngrange Shale Oil Works of the Scottish Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Present on the 1907 OS map, but absent, with other buildings, on site by 1950's OS map
Current status of site Site of industrial unit (black pudding and spicy haggis factory)

Background

The 1868 sale notice for the short-lived Burngrange Oil Works included "Workmen's Houses and Stable". The oil works seem to have been demolished shortly after the sale, however it is assumed that workman's houses are those marked on the 1895 and 1907 OS maps as "Burngrange Cottages". Census records from 1871 show five families (four in 1901) to be resident at Burngrange Cottages.

It should be noted that this site are not related to the existing Burngrange Cottages, situated about 300m to the east, (55.848042, -3.580508); a street mainly of four-in-a-block local authority housing, built probably in the 1930's.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Recent Images

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.