<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Villages > Binnend high village

Binnend - high village

Location 56.071876, -3.221557; two miles north of Burntisland. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Burntisland, Fifeshire
Current local authority area Fife
Construction history Built during the 1880's
Ownership history Binnend Oil Company Ltd, Burntisland Oil Company Ltd (Old), Burntisland Oil Company Ltd (New)
Demolition history Village closed in 1931 and was gradually demolished, with the last residents leaving in 1954
Current status of site Wall lines of much of the western area of the village are still apparent beneath the undergrowth

Background

Set at the top of an escarpment, high above the Binnend oil works, High or Upper Binn village consisted of twelve rows of substantially built stone buildings. Seven of these containing eight dwellings, five containing six dwellings. All homes appear to have had two rooms. The village was serviced with a school, a Free Church Mission Hall and a football pitch. Oil workers were also housed at Low Binn village.

(See The Binnend Oilworks and The Binn Villages, Walter M. Stephen 1968.)

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Recent Images

Further Reference

Burntisland.net provides an excellent illustrated history of the village, including reminicences of former residents

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.