<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Overview of the Addiewell area

Overview of the Seafield area

mine to Hurlet Coal air pit, 16 fathoms probably to Hurlet coal Seafield No.1 mine marked as old mine on 1897 map marked as old shaft on 1897 map marked as old shaft on 1897 map marked as air shaft on 1916 map, not on 1897 map marked as air shaft on 1916 map, not on 1897 map marked as air shaft on 1916 map; not on 1897 map Seafield No.3 mine marked as old coal mine on 1897 map marked as old coal mine on 1897 map Redhouse No.1 coal mine

Hover over markers to identify each location; click on markers to link to pages.

The earliest shale workings in this area are likely to be associated with Blackburn Shale Oil Works that were operational 1867-8. The location of the works and any mines that served them is unknown, other than being sited "near Blackburn House".

Coal seems to have been mined on the lands of Redhouse farm during the 1860's, (see "snippets") probably accounting for the "old quarry", pools and tips marked on the 1896 OS map. The Pumpherston Oil Company opened the short-lived Redhouse No. 1 Mine to the Hurlet Coal in c.1907.

A mine to the Houston Coal, (which we have termed Seafield Coal Mine), near the subsequent site of Seafield Oil Works, seems likely to have been worked in association with the Seafield Artificial Fuel Works, opened in 1874.

Two parallel mines into the Fells Shale (one titled Seafield No. 1, the other presumably Seafield No. 2) seem likely to have been developed in association with construction of the Bathgate Oil Company's Seafield Crude Oil Works, opened c.1884.

Seafield No. 3 Mine was developed c.1905 following the Pumpherston Oil Company's acquisition of the Seafield site. This small scale working in the Dunnet Shale appears to have been served by a number of air pits.

 

Snippets

VALUABLE MINERAL FIELD TO LET THE MINERALS in REDHOUSE ESTATE, Parish of Livingstone, belonging to the late Robert Forsyth Esq. The property contains nearly 300 Acres Imperial, and is situated 2 to 3 miles south of Bathgate, and a quarter of a mile east of Blackburn, nearly equidistant from the Edinburgh and Bathgate Branch of the North British Railway, and the Clelland Branch of the Caledonian Railway; about one mile from each. The Engines, Pumping and Winding Gear, and Tram Rails and other Plant, to be taken by Valuation, or by Private Agreement. Lease for such as period as may be agreed upon and , if wished, immediate entry given. The minerals are: 1.) Blackband and Clayband Ironstones, 2.) Coal of various kinds, including Gas, Household, Smithy, or Caking and Common Coal. A seam of good Household Coal is now working, 5 to 6 feet in thickness, with a thin seam of Gas Coal below it, and another above, immediately below the Limestone. 3.) Shale running through the whole Property from bear the surface to the 2 feet, and Houston Coal, which have been ascertained by Bores on adjoining land,and of quality equal to any in the District. 4.) Limestone, 5 feet thick, and Fire-Clay. Offers , stating Lordships and Fixed Rent, will be received for the Whole Minerals, or for one of more minerals. The Falkirk Herald, 23rd May 1867

MINERAL FIELD TO LET. THE COAL, IRONSTONE, SHALE and LIMESTONE in the Property of Murrayfield, Blackburn, near Bathgate, extending to 170 Acres, or thereby. The Coal is of the coking class, which is preferred in Edinburgh for Household purposes; and, from journal of bores in Proprietor's possession, is about Five Feet in Thickness. There are two Ironstones. The first, considered to be in the position of the Lower Possil, has been bored 11½ inches. The other Seam was bored 9 inches, and is supposed to occupy the position of the Ayrshire Blackband. The Shale is that known as the Dam Head or Raeburn Seam; and it has been opened up on the adjoining Property, where it can be seen. There are Three Beds of Limestone. The two under Beds extend through nearly the whole of the Lands, and, where they have been bored, are from Five to Six Feet Thick. Apply to ANDREW WALKER, 114 Trongate, Glasgow. The Falkirk Herald 18th January 1872.

The Valuable MINERAL FIELD of REDHOUSE, in the Parish of Livingstone and County of Linlithgow, containing 234 Acres, Imperial Measure, or thereby; as also the COLLIERY, having Two Engines, Pumping and Winding Gear &c., with the Whole PLANT on the Ground, is now To Let. One Coal Pit has recently been opened up. The Coal has been readily sold in all the chief Markets, and is of excellent quality. This Seam of Household Coal is from 4 to 5 feet thick. There has also been cut through, in sinking the Pit, a Gas Coal, 15 inches thick; a Limestone 6 feet; a Smiddy Coal, 5 to 7 inches thick; and another Gas Coal of 8 inches. An eminent Engineer estimates that these two Gas Coals extend to 230,000 tons. A Branch Railway has been formed by the North British Railway from their Edinburgh and Bathgate line through the property, and up to the Pit which has been opened. Although the Minerals have not yet been fully developed, eminent engineers have reported as to the existence of a large area of Houston Coal, as well as Blackband, Musselband, and Clayband Ironstones of great value. There is also a large amount of the finest Shale known. The Boundaries will be pointed out on application at Redhouse, near Blackburn, by Bathgate; and Offers must be lodged with J.W.Barty, Solicitor, Dunblane, or Robert Webster, Esq. of Redhouse, near Blackburn, by Bathgate, on or before the 15th day of May next. Glasgow Herald, 8th May 1874.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.