<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Woolfords coal pit

Woolfords coal pit

Location 55.795013, -3.583893, show in map
Shale-field Cobbinshaw shale-field
Dates opened and closed Opened c.1906, abandoned c.1926.
Owner Pumpherston Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shaft
Seams worked Hurlet Coal
Oil works served Tarbrax Oil Works
Current status of site Waste ground with two buildings and loading bank extant in a derelict condition

Background

Until its collapse in 1903, the Caledonian Mineral Oil Company Ltd worked the Hurlet Coal from Viewfield pit to provide fuel for Tarbrax Oil Works. The Pumpherston Oil Company Ltd subsequently acquired Tarbrax and the Cobbinshaw shale field, but chose to access Hurlet Coal workings via a new pit at Woolfords rather than re-open Viewfield pit. New workers houses were constructed at Woolfords.

The presence of Old Woolford Rows and the industrial debris shown on the 1898 OS map suggest that the site of Woolfords coal pit had been scene of earlier mining activity.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Archive Images

Drawings

Recent Images

Snippets

Further information is now to hand from those fields that a pit has been sunk to a depth of 23 fathoms, the seam being four feet thick, and lying in a good position. The importance of this latest development is apparent at this time when fuel is at such high prices, as it will permit the coal to be supplied to the Tarbrax Works at cost price, with a trifling charge for railway haulage, and also to the oil works at Pumpherston; whilst in the course of a few months there will be a surplus for sale in the open market. This is possible from the fact that the operations meantime are to be confined chiefly to the winning of about 200,000 tons of coal lying in stoops since the days of the Caledonian Oil Company, which worked this coal at an adjoining pit. The West Lothian Courier, 11th October 1907.

From Scottish Oils Ltd, Managing Director's Monthly Report to the Board. (BP Archive No. 215662) The sinking of the main dook had been suspended in order to reduce the cost (April 1925)

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.