<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Westwood No.13 pit

Westwood No.13 pit

Location 55.859631, -3.578489, show in map
Shale-field West Calder district
Dates opened and closed Opened c.1870, abandoned 1887
Owner Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shaft, 203 ft (34 fathoms) deep
Seams worked Thick Shale = Fells Shale
Oil works served Addiewell Chemical Works
Current status of site Storage yard of concrete block plant; no trace of surface features remain

Background

Worked in association with Westwood No. 12, both pits were in operation prior to 1870 and continued to be worked into the 1880's. Both were served by a branch of the Addiewell and Polbeth railway, crossing the Breich Water by viaduct

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.