<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Westwood No.12 pit

Westwood No.12 pit

Location 55.857672, -3.583350, show in map
Shale-field West Calder district
Dates opened and closed Opened c.1870, abandoned 1887
Owner Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shaft, 144ft (24 fathoms) deep
Seams worked Thick Shale = Fells Shale
Oil works served Addiewell Chemical Works
Current status of site Site buried beneath the Five Sisters bing from Westwood Crude Oil Works

Background

Worked in association with Westwood No. 13, both pits were in operation prior to 1870 and continued to be worked into the 1880's. Both were served by a branch of the Addiewell and Polbeth railway, crossing the Breich Water by viaduct.

Maps suggest that workings from No. 12 & No. 13 were linked to Fells Shale workings beneath Tenantsmarch, which were in turn linked to workings in Addiewell and Polbeth. It is unclear how workings beneath Breichdykes were linked to those of Westwood No. 12 & No. 13, and whether these workings continued beneath the Breich Water to link with Fells Shale workings from Addiewell.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.