<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Tarbrax No.1 pit

Tarbrax No.1 pit

Location 55.785068, -3.551410, show in map
Shale-field Cobbinshaw shale-field
Dates opened and closed Opened prior to 1880, closed 1903
Owner Caledonian Mineral Oil Company Ltd (Old), Caledonian Mineral Oil Company Ltd (New) (and perhaps predecessors?
Type of working Vertical shaft 16 fathoms deep
Seams worked Fells shale
Oil works served Tarbrax Oil Works
Current status of site Rough grazing. Grassed bing, subsidence at shaft site and foundations of winding house? remain

Background

It is unclear when Tarbrax No. 1 Pit was opened, but it is known that the workings served by No. 1 Pit were linked to those of Tarbrax No. 2 in 1891 and that both shafts were closed in 1903 following failure of the Caledonian Mineral Oil Company Ltd.

An earlier "Tarbrax No. 1", presumably the first pit in Tarbrax, is recorded as having been abandoned by Galloway & Company in 1878. It is unclear whether this was on the same site of the later No. 1, and whether this is the "old shaft" marked on OS maps.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Recent Images

References

Accidents

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.