<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Stewartfield No.4 pit

Stewartfield No.4 pit

Also known as "East Mains pit" or "Law's pit"

Location 55.934881, -3.453012, show in map
Shale-field Broxburn area
Dates opened and closed Opened pre-1897, closed 1914
Owner Broxburn Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shaft
Seams worked Broxburn and Curly Shale
Oil works served Broxburn Oil Works
Current status of site Industrial estate

Background

The pit was probably sunk some time in the 1880's and was linked underground to Stewartfield No.2 and No. 3. It seems that for most of its life the shaft served only as a pumping station, drawing water from the deepest parts of a network of workings beneath th southern part of Broxburn..

The 1897 OS map shows No. 4 Pit operating as "pumping station". The tall chimney stalk - a local landmark, was demolished at about the time of the first world war.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Recent Images

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.