Gazetteer

A Recognised Collection of National Importance
Home > Gazetteer > Shale Mines > Stankards No.1 Pit & No. 45 Mine

Stankards No. 1 Pit and No. 45 Mine

Location 55.924039, -3.497815, show in map
Shale-field Pumpherston shale-field
Dates opened and closed No.1 pit opened c.1866?, closed 1873. No.45 mine opened c.1910 and closed 1912
Owner Uphall Oil Company Ltd?, Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shaft 24 fathoms deep (No.1), Adit, inclined at 1 in 4 (No.45)
Seams worked Upper Broxburn, Broxburn, Grey Shales
Oil works served Stankards (Uphall) Oil Works
Current status of site Waste ground and industrial yard

Background

Stankards No. 1 was presumably one of the first pits serving Uphall (Stankards) Oil Works, (which opened c.1866) and was abandoned in 1873. In c.1910 the workings were re-opened by Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd accessed by a new mine (No. 45). This was abandoned in 1912.

The shales of the Stankards basin were also worked by Roman Camp No. 4 Mine.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Drawings

Recent Images

Snippets

A visitor to the Uphall works – more especially if he should fall into the courteous hands of Mr Meldrum, who delights in explaining everything ab origine – would probably find himself conducted in the first instance to the shale pit, where a steam-engine is constantly employed in hauling up from a depth of 27 fathoms supplies of the raw material, the quantity brought to bank varying from 120 to 130 tons per day. The Scotsman, 27th December 1871.

References