<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Roman Camp (Cawburn) mine

Roman Camp (Cawburn) mine

Location 55.918805, -3.478623 (location of No.1 Pit) show in map
Shale-field Roman Camp shale-field
Dates opened and closed Opencast working and No. 1 Pit probably active in late 1860's. Cawburn Mine apparently active during the 1890's
Owner Wm Fraser & Son?
Type of working Opencast (and vertical shaft?)
Seams worked Pumpherston Shale
Oil works served Roman Camp Shale Oil Works
Current status of site Works yard and derelict land

Background

BGS plan LSP44 (see below) shows workings associated with Roman Camp Shale Oil Works. The plan, probably dating from c. 1868, shows area of opencasting along the outcrops of the various Pumpherston Shales, and shows a shaft labelled "No. 1 Pit" at a location that coincides with pithead buildings shown on the 1896 OS map and labelled "Cawburn mine".

No information has been located on the history of this pit, although it is possible that it was worked as part of Roman Camp No. 2 (North) mine, which seems to be marked as "old mine" on the 1896 OS map. Confusingly, Roman Camp No.2 north mine was sometimes referred to as "Cawburn mine".

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

Accidents

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.