<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Roman Camp No.6 mine

Roman Camp No.6 mine

Location 55.918886, -3.478166, show in map
Shale-field Pumpherston shale-field
Dates opened and closed Opened 1936, closed 1956
Owner Broxburn Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Inclined adit
Seams worked Camps Shale
Oil works served Roman Camp Oil Works
Current status of site Site derelict, some buildings remain in use or in a derelict condition

Background

One of a number of new mines developed prior to World War Two; No. 6 Mine exploited Camps Shale in the Learielaw basin. The mine was constructed on the site of Roman Camp No. 2 North Mine and Roman Camp (Cawburn) Mine.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Archive Images

Drawings

Recent Images

Snippets

TWO SHALE MINES TO BE SUNK Development by Scottish Oils Ltd. Scottish Oils (Ltd.), have decided to start the sinking at once of two shale mines at Drumshoreland, Broxburn, east of their Roman Camp Crude Works. But, as in tho case of the new mines being opened by the company at West Calder and in the Winchburgh district, the Broxburn project will not on its fulfillment result in the employment of more shale miners, but will ensure continued work for the men now employed at Newliston and No 3. Roman Camp mines, in each of which the shale is worked out. Evening Telegraph 30th December 1935

Accident Records

References

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.