Home > Gazetteer > Shale Mines > Roman Camp No. 2 (North) mine
Roman Camp No. 2 (North) mine
|Shale-field||Pumpherston shale- field|
|Dates opened and closed||Closed 1893. re-opened post 1896 and pre 1916, and closed 1930|
|Owner||Perhaps the Broxburn Oil Company Ltd?|
|Type of working||Inclined adit|
|Seams worked||Curly, Plain, Under or Wee seams of the Pumpherston Shale (No. 2 North)|
|Oil works served||Perhaps Roman Camp Oil Works|
|Current status of site||Waste land|
Roman Camp No. 2 Mine, (latterly referred to as Roman Camp No. 2 (North) Mine), worked the steep inclined seams of Pumpherston Shales in the eastern arm of the Pumpherston anticline. It was latterly worked in association with Roman Camp No. 2 (South) Mine. The early history of shale working in the Roman Camp / Drumshoreland area remains unclear (see Roman Camp Cawburn Mine for further discussion).
Roman Camp No. 2 Mine is listed as abandoned in 1893; the year that the Broxburn Oil Company's new Roman Camp Oil Works came into full production. It might be assumed that the mine had been in operation for some time previously; perhaps supplying shale to Broxburn Oil Works? The 1896 OS map shows an "old mine" on the site of Roman Camp No. 2 (North), with a structure suggesting an eastward-facing adit, in line with the outcrop of the Pumpherston Shales.
The 1916 map shows Roman Camp No. 2 (North) back in operation apparently using the same adit. The three new waste tips suggest a substantial scale of operation, probably linked to a new mine at Roman Camp No. 2 (South).
Both the 1896 and 1916 maps show pithead structures labelled (in 1896) " Cawburn Shale Mine". It is unclear whether this pit was associated with the workings of Roman Camp No. 2 Mine.
The site was subsequently redeveloped for the construction of Roman Camp No. 6 Mine.
Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.
- (1) 25" OS map c.1897 showing "old mine" on the site Roman Camp No. 2 (North) Mine, and an adjacent "Cawburn Shale Mine", apparently in operation
- (2) 25" OS map c.1916 showing Roman Camp No. 2 (North) Mine in operation and the Cawburn Shale Mine still extant
- (3) 25" OS map c.1955, showing Roman Camp No. 6 Mine constructed close to the site of Roman Camp No. 2 (North) Mine
- (4) Aerial image c.2005
- (1) General extent of workings in the Pumpherston Shales, plotted on a 6" OS map
- (2) As (1), plotted on aerial image
- (1) From "Sections of Shale Seams", a notebook by Robert Crichton. BP Archive 183734
- (2) Production statistics since 1920
- (1) Tarmac road which formerly linked Roman Camp Oil Works with No. 6 Mine. The site of Roman Camp No. 2 (North) Mine probably lies in the foreground beneath the hard surface
The No.2 Roman Camp mine, owned by the Broxburn Oil Company, in which an outbreak of fire occurred about three weeks ago, is still closed down. Practically all the men have found employment, however, in other mines belonging to the company. The management are hopeful that they will be able to enter the mine in the course of a week or so. The West Lothian Courier, 20th June 1913.
- 20th December 1902, injury to William Birrell from a fall of shale
- 13th June 1912, death of David Smith following an undisclosed accident
- 6th January 1913, death of Patrick Shields following an undisclosed accident
- 29th July 1929, death of David McLauchlan after being struck by shale
- Coal Authority Mine Abandonment Catalogue No. 3039, showing workings in the Curly, Plain, Under or Wee Shales, abandoned in 1893.
- Coal Authority Mine Abandonment Catalogue No. 10082, showing workings from Roman Camp No. 2 and Roman Camp No. 2 (South) in the Jubilee, Curly, Plain, and Wee Shales, abandoned in 1930.