<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Roman Camp No.1 mine

Roman Camp No.1 mine

Location 55.914166, -3.486065, show in map
Shale-field Pumpherston shale-field
Dates opened and closed Closed 1918
Owner Broxburn Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Inclined adit
Seams worked Jubilee, Curly, Maybrick and Plain seams of the Pumpherston Shale
Oil works served Roman Camp Oil Works
Current status of site Waste land

Background

One of a sequence of steeply inclined mines following the outcrop of Pumpherston Shales along the western arm of the Pumpherston anticline.

The O.S. map appears to show an adit emerging from the western bank of the Caw Burn, crossing the steep valley on a trestle bridge to reach an elevated staging and screens from where shale could be discharged into standard gauge railway wagons. The range of buildings labelled "No. 3" seem likely to be associated with a shaft serving a parallel underground incline.

Substantial re-grading of the area has taken place since closure of the mine and little remains to mark the workings other that retaining walls built beside the Caw Burn.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Drawings

Recent Images

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.