<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Polbeth No. 20 mine

Polbeth No. 20 mine

Location 55.857101, -3.562293, show in map
Shale-field Polbeth and Gavieside shale-field
Dates opened and closed Opened c.1880?, abandoned pre-1895, reopened c.1900?, abandoned 1906?
Owner Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Inclined adit
Seams worked Fells Shale
Oil works served Addiewell Chemical Works
Current status of site Contractor's yard within an industrial estate

Background

The history of No. 20 Mine is uncertain; from the numerical sequence it might be imagined that No. 20 opened in the late 1870's, although the 1895 OS map shows only an "old shaft" on the site subsequently developed as the "Slant Mine" .

The mine dipped steeply to the south west, exploiting Fells Shale to the east of West Calder. A cross cut mine appears to have provided access to an area of Fells Shale to the east of Harburn Road. The workings were linked to those of Polbeth No. 8 Pit.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Recent Images

Accident Records

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.