<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Ingliston No.36 & 37 pits

Ingliston No.36 & 37 pits

Location 55.946632, -3.384923, show in map
Shale-field Ingliston and Newliston shale-fields
Dates opened and closed Opened 1897, abandoned 1926
Owner Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shafts 366 ft deep
Seams worked Camps Shale
Oil works served Transported by standard gauge railway, mostly to Uphall Oil Works
Current status of site Within the boundary of Edinburgh airport

Background

Substantial workings in the Camps Shale on a site subsequently used for the construction of Edinburgh airport.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Drawings

Snippets

We have arranged to transfer the men from the poorer places to the south west dook, where the shale is still improving, and hope that this will help the yields at Dalmeny (August 1924). The driving of the south west dook has been hampered by the presence of a little gas which requires special attention to be given to the ventilation (December 1924). Some of the places have reached troubled ground and are not looking so well as they did some time ago (June 1925). From Scottish Oils Ltd, Managing Director's Monthly Report to the Board. (BP Archive No. 215662)

Accident Reports