<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Haycraigs mines & quarries

Haycraigs mines and quarries

Location 55.947615, -3.478669, show in map
Shale-field Broxburn district
Dates opened and closed Open pre-1883, closed 1919, mine area subsequently opencast
Owner Broxburn Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Inclined adits and opencast working
Seams worked Curly, Broxburn and Grey Shales
Oil works served Broxburn Oil Works
Current status of site Land surface restored to agriculture

Background

A series of mines at the outcrop of the Broxburn Shales in an area that was subsequently opencast. These workings were ultimately linked to those of Pyothall No. 5 Pit. A further phase of open-cast working began immediately after WW2 and continued until 1959 from two quarries; Haycraigs A and Haycraigs B.

Mineral statistics for 1883 record that Haycraigs mine worked the Broxburn shale by stoop and room, 20 being employed above ground and 113 below ground (25 and 175 in 1884), under the management of Alex Kennedy. Downcast and upcast shafts measured 7'x7' and 9'x6' respectively, the fiery workings being ventilated by fan. A second 6x6 downcast shaft is recorded, presumably for ventilation.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Plan of Workings

Recent Images

Accident Records

References

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.