<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Grange No.1 & 2 pits

Grange No.1 & 2 pits

Location 55.868802, -3.570270, (No. 1) show in map 55.868157, -3.568625 (No. 2) show in map
Shale-field Polbeth and Gavieside shale-field
Dates opened and closed Opened c.1865, abandoned c.1871.
Owner James Raeburn, Midlothian Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shafts, No. 2 Pit, 20 fathoms deep
Seams worked Raeburn Shale
Oil works served Grange Shale Oil Works
Current status of site Site occupied by Stepend broiler farm. No trace remains of surface features

Background

Two pits to the Raeburn Shale, numbered 1 and 2, and presumed to be Grange No. 1 & 2, lie within the area thought to be the site of Grange Shale Oil Works.The pits appear to have been worked until closure of the oil works in 1871. These workings were separated from those of Grange No. 3 by the Livingston - West Calder road.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Drawings

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.