<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Fraser pit

Fraser pit

Location 55.830870, -3.593412, show in map
Shale-field West Calder district
Dates opened and closed Opened 1940, abandoned 1951
Owner Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shaft, 411 ft deep
Seams worked Fraser Shale
Oil works served Westwood Crude Oil Works
Current status of site Site landscaped and now woodland

Background

One of a number of new shale workings begun immediately prior to World War Two, and the last shale pit to be sunk. Sited close to Baads No. 42 coal mine. The Fraser mine and bing site were subject of a land renewal project during the 1990's.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Drawings

Recent Images

References

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.