<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

Gazetteer

A Recognised Collection of National Importance
Home > Gazetteer > Shale Mines > Deans (Caputhall) mine

Deans (Caputhall) mine

Location 55.90146, -3.584067, show in map
Shale-field Deans shale-field
Dates opened and closed Abandoned c.1886
Owner West Lothian Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Inclined shaft
Seams worked Fells Shale
Oil works served Deans Crude Oil Works
Current status of site Verge of the M8 motorway

Background

The early history of mining in the Deans area is unclear. A mine to the Dunnet Shale was referred to at the first AGM of the West Lothian Oil Company in 1885. Mining plan LSP46 indicates that the Fells Shale was last worked in 1886, whilst the second edition OS map (c.1897) shows the mine site vacant other than some small buildings, or foundations, and waste material.

Surprisingly therefore, Caputhall is listed in the Mine Abandonment Catalogue (Plan 4940) as being abandoned in 1906. Perhaps this indicates that the mine was re-opened by Pumpherston Oil Company?

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Drawings

Recent Images

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.