<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Deans No.5 mine

Deans No.5 mine

Location 55.893437, -3.571998, show in map
Shale-field Livingston and Deans shale-field
Dates opened and closed Opened c.1908, Barracks and Dunnet Shale workings abandoned in 1912, Workings in Broxburn Shale abandoned 1931
Owner Pumpherston Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Inclined adit
Seams worked Barracks, Dunnet Shales, Jubilee Seam of Pumpherston Shale
Oil works served Deans Crude Oil Works
Current status of site Landscaped open space

Background

A new mine established to serve the re-constructed Deans Crude Oil Works, driven through barren ground to exploit the Jubilee seam of the Pumpherston Shale lying beneath western Livingston. Modest workings in the Barracks and Dunnet Shales close to their outcrop appear to have been quickly exhausted.

A small area of the Barracks Shale to the west of the mine-head appears to have been worked during 1866.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Archive Images

Drawings

Recent Images

Snippets

There is at the moment a third mine, No.5, also on Tailend Farm, which is being got ready in view of the new works presently being erected. The West Lothian Courier, 3rd July 1908

Accident Records

References

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.