<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Deans No.4 pit

Deans No.4 pit

Location 55.901409, -3.581517, show in map
Shale-field Deans shale-field
Dates opened and closed Opened 1886?, closed 1886
Owner West Lothian Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shaft 38 fathoms deep
Seams worked Broxburn
Oil works served Deans Crude Oil Works
Current status of site Beneath loading bay of distribution depot. No surface features survive

Background

NOTE: This Deans No. 4 Pit, operated by West Lothian Oil Company Ltd is at a different location and completely separate from Deans No. 4 Mine, subsequently developed by the Pumpherston Oil Company Ltd.

The early history of the Deans mines remains unclear. The Second Edition (c.1897) OS maps appears to show No. 4 intact, and perhaps in operation, served by a substantial range of pit-head buildings, and with an established waste tip. Plans of the workings shows the shaft serving a very small network of tunnels in the Broxburn Shale which were last worked in 1886. It is unclear from drawings whether the shaft also served Fells Shale workings accessed from Caputhall Mine.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Drawings

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.