Dalmeny No.3 pit
|Shale-field||Queensferry and Dalmeny shale-field|
|Dates opened and closed||Opened pre-1885, abandoned 1914|
|Owner||Dalmeny Oil Company Ltd (Old), Dalmeny Oil Company Ltd (New)|
|Type of working||Vertical shaft|
|Seams worked||Main or Broxburn, Curly, New, Brushing Shales|
|Oil works served||Dalmeny Oil Works|
|Current status of site||Site lies beneath approach road to the Forth Bridge|
The last of three pits sunk to exploit the Broxburn Shale in the vicinity of Dalmeny Oil Works, and seemingly linked to the workings of Dalmeny No. 2 Pit. Following closure, the pithead site became the terminus of the tramway serving Rosshill No. 1 & 2 Mines, and probable site of the haulage engine.
Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.
- (1) 25" OS map c.1896, showing No. 3 Pit in operation
- (2) 25" OS map c.1917, showing No. 3 Pit disused, and tramway extending northward to Rosshill No. 1 & 2 Mines
- (3) Aerial image c.2005
- (1) Rough extent of workings in Broxburn Shale from Dalmeny No. 3 and other Dalmeny pits, plotted on 6" OS map
- (2) As (1), plotted on an aerial image
- (1) From "Sections of Shale Seams", a notebook by Robert Crichton. BP Archive 183734
- (1) View towards the site of Dalmeny No. 3 Pit, immediately south of the A90
- (2) Further view showing the landscaped margins of Dalmeny bing
Contractors wanted to sink dook and work places at No.3 Pit, Dalmeny Oil Works. Offers to be in by Saturday, the 10th inst. - For further particulars apply at the Works. Edinburgh Evening News, 6th January 1885.
- 5th September 1903, injury to John Minelias following a fall of shale
- 16th October 1911, death of Robert Grieve and Francis Gilhooley as a result of a gas explosion
- 4th February 1913, death of James Malone following an unspecified accident
- 25th June 1870, injury to miner John Carlin through fall of shale
- Coal Authority Mine Abandonment Catalogue No. 4323, showing workings in the Main or Broxburn, Curly, New, Brushing Shales from Dalmeny No. 2 & 3 Railway mines, abandoned in 1901.
- Coal Authority Mine Abandonment Catalogue No. 6510, showing workings in the Main or Broxburn, Curly, New, Brushing Shales from Dalmeny No. 2 & 3 Railway mines, abandoned in 1914.