Dalmeny No.2 pit
|Shale-field||Dalmeny and Queensferry shale-field|
|Dates opened and closed||Uncertain - surface buildings appear to have been cleared pre-1896|
|Owner||Dalmeny Oil Company Ltd (Old)|
|Type of working||Vertical shaft|
|Seams worked||Main or Broxburn, Curly, New, Brushing Shales|
|Oil works served||Dalmeny Oil Works|
|Current status of site||Landscaped space within oil terminal|
The history of the pit is unclear. It seems likely that once workings of No. 2 were linked to those of Dalmeny No. 3 Pit, the surface buildings of No. 2 Pit were demolished and the site subsequently covered by spent shale from Dalmeny Oil Works.
Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.
- (1) 25" OS map c.1896, showing no trace of pithead other than an earthwork linking the mine site to the oil works, presumably a dismantled tramway
- (2) 25" OS map c.1916, by which time the mine site had been submerged the spent shale of the oil works bing.
- (3) Aerial image c.2005. showing Dalmeny tank farm constructed on the bing site.
- (1) Rough extent of workings in Broxburn Shales from Dalmeny pits, plotted on 6" OS map
- (2) As (1), plotted on an aerial image
- (1) View towards site of No.2 pit, showing entrance to Dalmeny tank farm located within a bund created from Dalmeny bing.
- (2) Site of No.2 pit, centre of image, beyond trees and sewage treatment works.
- Coal Authority Mine Abandonment Catalogue No. 4323, showing workings in the Main or Broxburn, Curly, New, Brushing Shales from Dalmeny No. 2 & 3 Railway mines, abandoned in 1901.
- Coal Authority Mine Abandonment Catalogue No. 6510, showing workings in the Main or Broxburn, Curly, New, Brushing Shales from Dalmeny No. 2 & 3 Railway mines, abandoned in 1914.