<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Cobbinshaw South No.28 mine

Cobbinshaw South No.28 mine

Location 55.799607, -3.544282, show in map
Shale-field Cobbinshaw shale-field
Dates opened and closed Opened 1883, closed 1885 - subsequently reopened as Cobbinshaw No. 5
Owner Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Inclined adit
Seams worked Fells Shale
Oil works served Shale presumably transported to Addiewell Chemical Works by main line railway
Current status of site Moorland, collapsed entrance to adit, and some building foundations still exist

Background

Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd purchased the mineral rights for Cobbinshaw shale-field c.1880, following the collapse of West Calder Oil Company Ltd. Young's worked shale at No. 28 Mine between 1883 and 1885. Mineral rights were later sold to the Caledonian Mineral Oil Company Ltd, who from 1890 developed the workings as their Cobbinshaw Mine.

See Cobbinshaw No. 5 Mine for information on the subsequent history of the site.

Underground Workings

References

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.