<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Cobbinshaw South No.1 pit

Cobbinshaw South No. 1 pit

Location 55.796744, -3.557425, show in map
Shale-field Cobbinshaw shale-field
Dates opened and closed opened, c.1870 closed c.1875
Owner South Cobbinshaw Oil Company
Type of working Vertical shaft
Seams worked Raeburn Shale
Oil works served Cobbinshaw South Oil Works
Current status of site Moorland with traces of earthworks

Background

In c.1870 the West Calder Oil Company Ltd sub-let rights of the north-eastern part of the Cobbinshaw shale-field to theSouth  Cobbinshaw Oil Company (a partnership of Jonathan Hyslop, Hugh Rose and James Falshaw) who mined shale to supply Cobbinshaw South Oil Works

Surviving mine plans are ambiguous, but suggest extension of workings northwards, beyond the extent shown on the Underground Workings map below. Other plans also show two unidentified shafts to the Raeburn shale (marked on the Map below).

 

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Drawings

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.