<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish mines

Oil shale pits

Coal shale pits

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Shale Mines > Boghall No.1 pit

Boghall No.1 pit

Location 55.886704, -3.588616, show in map
Shale-field Cousland and Seafield shale-field
Dates opened and closed Open 1867, probably abandoned during 1880's, certainly before 1895
Owner E Meldrum & Company (Meldrum & Simpson), Uphall Mineral Oil Company Ltd, Uphall Oil Company Ltd
Type of working Vertical shaft 36 fathoms deep
Seams worked Fells Shale and perhaps also Barracks Shale
Oil works served Boghall (Starlaw) Shale Oil Works
Current status of site Site of the mine is now within agricultural land, visible as an area of rough ground

Background

The first of a number of pits supplying shale to the Boghall (Starlaw) Shale Oil Works that operated between 1868 and 1882. It seems probable that Boghall No. 1 Pit was "Starlaw Pit", scene of the Starlaw disaster, one of the shale oil industry's most tragic accidents.

Boghall No. 1 Pit exploited the Fells Shale; it seems possible that the shaft also accessed the Barracks Shale by means of a cross cut mine; this detail is unclear on mining plans.

See "Early mines and pits in the Boghall area" for further background.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Underground Workings

Recent Images

Accident Records

References

The Coal Authority mine abandonment catalogue list the following shale workings from Boghall:

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.